Friday, June 13, 2008

How my brain (doesn't) work

Ok, I'm sure you're all familiar with the keening and gnashing of teeth about the sling bag I ordered and instead got a fanny pack. You are probably aware of the whole snit about the front pocket not holding my iPhone (ok, I tried it without the cover, and it does fit, but its a pain in the butt to get it in and out). Some of you have even asked if I had sent it back yet... I was this close.

It wasn't just because of the whole iPhone pocket not fitting an iPhone (ok, they didn't specifically say iPhone pocket, but they INFERRED IT), I almost sent it back because it was a pain in the butt to deal with.

Ok, its great for carrying all of my crap and leaving my hands free of purse, bag, or other carrying device. It wasn't hanging there rubbing on my pants and getting in the way, it was actually comfy to wear and pretty dang perfect except what a huge pain to deal with. Take it off to get in the car, put it on when you get to the store, take it off to get wallet, put it on leaving store, take it off to get keys out of it, juggling stuff all over the place. HUGE inconvenience.

Now, for those of you who already know, you are probably already laughing at me. Go ahead, I'll just sit here until you're done.

Are you done yet?

Yes, while I can make a living writing complex technical documents about complex technical junk, it took me a full week to figure out that you don't take a sling bag off, you just sling it around to the front and unzip it to get your wallet and other things out of it. it just hangs there open, allowing you to grab whatever you need and put it back, then you SLING it around to the back. For those of you like me who have difficulty with simple concepts, here's a cartoon demonstrating the simplicity of a sling bag.

Wear it on the back, sling it to the side or front and grab your junk out of it. Duh!

You would have also laughed hysterically at the moment of my epiphany at the local Superfresh when the concept hit me in the head and I did the happy dance in the self check out line. I did refrain from demonstrating it to the woman behind me, as she seemed to be in a hurry to pay for her food and get on the road, plus she probably would have told me how big of an idiot I was to buy a bag and not know how to use it.

So now I really love the bag, now that I don't have to take it off all the time, that I can get to my iPhone easily (even if its not in the front pouch, which I use to carry my headphones at least), and I'm pretty damn happy with this bag... for ONCE. Now if I can only get it on right the first time without doing a sort of dork dance outside of the RAV.

I have a long way to go.

8 comments:

  1. ha rooo!!! Mom said that this bag sounds very cool!!!!
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you need a new Hold the Phone! Bag to coordinate with it. "I'm just sayin'." LOL!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder Meeshka is like she is -

    I'm just sayin'

    H&K,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, my mom said "You know, I had not heard of sling bags before, so I don't think I would have realized this either!"

    Humans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOL! Our mom is a huge dork too! Her sis got her a really cool Jana Pfeifer sling bag a couple of years ago, she wore it to death, over her shoulder! Until she saw your cartoon she never realized how it was really meant to be worn. Guess that's why we live in Florie-DUH, and dad calls her RhonDUH.
    Still giggling....
    The RHP

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mama wouldn't have known either!!

    Woos,
    Thor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, as the proud owner of a sling bag myself, I didn't want to say anything... lmao!

    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's it. You've convinved me to try this bag. Damn it. I don't need another bag. I might have to stop reading your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete