Thursday, June 19, 2008

How do I even function sometimes

Last night I was downstairs in my computer nook and the phone rang. Normally our computer answers the phone. Its a cool program called Phlink that does some pretty cool stuff. We set up boxes for each other, and then there’s one that is for telemarketers which either sends them into a flurry of pushing buttons to nowhere, or tells them never to call again and hangs up on them. My mom still can’t figure out that she can just start talking and it’ll record her message without any button pushing.

Last night it didn’t answer the phone, which meant the answering machine down here picked it up. The answering machine down here is a piece of crap that we barely can figure out how to use. It still has the message on it that we put on there a few years ago when my mom got put on the wrong train and instead of stopping at BWI, she was heading for Boston, but they threw her off at Penn Station. She left a message to that effect, but instead of Penn station, she said she was in Baltimore, which happens to be a very large city, so specifics would have been nice. With no way of reaching her, we left a message saying that we were on our way to Penn Station (hoping that’s where she ended up) and to wait for us. She claims to have tried my cell phone, but actually had the wrong number, so it was a comedy of fun on Christmas Eve that year.

Anyhoo, the answering machine down here got the call, so I decided to listen to the message... only to find that there were a LOT of messages on there, including one from the person that was doing my clearance investigation. Um, I thought that was done for another five years, OH NO maybe something happened, when did she call?

Piece of crap answering machine only gives a day and a time, not a DATE and a time. It said Monday. Monday as in this monday, or monday as in last year monday? Who knows. Just to be on the safe side I called and left a message explaining that my answering machine is a piece of crap, just got her message, didn’t know when she left it. Of course, then I worried all night that perhaps something was wrong and I’d end up hauling garbage for a living instead of sitting in a cube writing complex technical documents that nobody reads.

This morning she called, and we had a good laugh about the fact that she left that about a year and a half ago. She suggested I throw that machine away, I agreed.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm. Well. Get rid of the answering machine. That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete