Sunday, April 28, 2019

Toms vs Bobs

A while back I bought a pair of red Tom's canvas shoes that were all the rage ($50).  Nice concept, where you buy a pair of shoes and they send a pair to needy people or something.

I saw someone wearing them at a graduation, asked about them and the woman swore by them.  So comfortable, stylish, blah blah.

Fine, ordered a pair, the arrived. 

Initially I was like "ok, these are nice flats" and then walked into our kitchen and nearly slid 5 feet and fell on my ass. 

The bottoms are made of Crisco.  Ok, not Crisco, it's felt (I think) and holy crap are they slippery.  Even on some carpets you slide around out of control.  Don't even get me started about what happens if you walk in the rain.

I tried, really I did.  I tried to wear them, I tried to like them, but they are worthless for walking.  They look fabulous on your feet... just don't walk in them.  I felt guilty about the fact that I bought a pair, and now some poor person got a pair and they're sliding around all helpless on top of being poor.

I donated them to charity and searched for something similar in red (because red goes with 99% of my clothes), but didn't want to end up with another $50 disappointment.

A friend suggested Bob's by Sketchers.

Same concept: you buy a pair of shoes and they donate to Petco charities, which I really like more than the Tom's thing and I'm also assuming that the donation isn't a pair of shoes because what cat is going to wear shoes.  Bought some ($40).

They arrive and I'm pretty sure whoever makes Toms also makes Bobs except Bobs have rubber soles.  Well, there's an improvement right away.  They also have a very cushy inner, Tom's didn't.

Tried the kitchen test and have to admit that even with the rubber sole, still a bit slippery, but not nearly as slippery as Toms.

I wear a 7.5 and ordered a 7.5 but think I could have ordered a 7 as I have a little space near the toe, but I'm sticking with the 7.5.

They also have some cool designs and stuff here and you can get them on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment